About Lake Arrowhead: Our History
In the early 1920’s, Lake Arrowhead was a resort for Hollywood’s rich and famous. In those days, there were no roads leading to the North Shore Tavern (present-day Main Lodge) on the north shore of the Lake. The Tavern offered relaxation and outdoor activities for those who braved the boat trip across the Lake from The Village. During those early years, the North Shore Tavern served many purposes including the filming location for the 1942 Betty Davis film, Now, Voyager.
The construction of the Cedar Guest Lodge during the 1940s allowed for the housing of the Tavern’s employees, many of whom lived in Palm Springs and moved to Lake Arrowhead where the temperature was much cooler. In the years that followed, the Cedar Guest Lodge served as a local schoolhouse and later as the Lake Arrowhead Yacht Club.
The North Shore Tavern was owned by the Los Angeles Turf Club, which also owned Lake Arrowhead and the Santa Anita Race Track. In 1957, the Los Angeles Turf Club decided to sell the Lake and donate portions of their property. The North Shore Tavern was offered to the University of California, which gladly accepted the donation.
Over the years, the property operated as a conference center under the direction of different University of California campuses, including UC Riverside. In 1982, leadership of the property was transferred to the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Under the leadership of UCLA, the property was expanded and remodeled while preserving the original history and design of the old North Shore Tavern.